Causes of an Audi Steering Rack Mount Failure in College Station
Audi is known for its precision engineering, and the steering rack mount is one of the many examples of this attention to detail. This Audi-specific part helps to keep the steering rack stable, even when driving on rough terrain or during sudden turns. As a result, it contributes to Audi’s trademark smooth handling. In addition, the steering rack mount also helps to protect the steering rack from damage. By keeping the steering rack in a fixed position, it prevents it from being jarred loose by bumps in the road. As a result, the Audi steering rack mount is a vital component of the vehicle’s suspension system and when it fails, a driver will notice considerable trouble keeping their Audi in lane.
There are several signs that this problem may be present, including:
- Knocking noise when turning the wheel
- Feeling of looseness in the steering
- Increased vibration in the steering wheel
- Steering rack mount failure can also cause the wheel to become misaligned
- There may also be a feeling of looseness or play in the steering
- Increased vibration coming from the front end of the car
- Steering rack mount failure can also cause the car to pull to one side when driving
If you notice any of these symptoms, it’s important to have your Audi inspected by a qualified technician as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
Audi’s History with Steering Rack Mount Failure
Audi experienced steering rack mount failures on certain models. The issue affected Audi vehicles, in particular, the A4 equipped with Audi’s electro-mechanical power steering system. There was a lawsuit that alleged some of the Audi models were prone to steering rack mount failure, which can cause a loss of steering control. This can obviously pose a serious safety hazard, not only to the driver and passengers of the affected Audi models, but also to other drivers on the road.
Audi has acknowledged four main root causes for this particular failure: production issues, poor design, lack of testing, and inadequate materials.
- Production issues: Audi’s primary supplier for the affected parts is facing production difficulties that have resulted in Audi receiving fewer parts than what is needed to meet demand. This has put Audi in a position where it has had to ration the available parts among its dealers.
- Poor design: The Audi steering rack mount was not designed with sufficient strength and durability to withstand the loads it is subjected to during normal driving conditions.
- Lack of testing: Audi did not adequately test the steering rack mount during development, which means that the potential for failure was not discovered until after the part went into production.
- Inadequate materials: The Audi steering rack mount is made from a material that is not strong enough to withstand the loads it is subjected to during normal driving conditions. As a result, the part is failing prematurely.
Audi models may experience steering rack mount failure caused by a number of factors, including corrosion, wear and tear, or manufacturing defects. If your Audi is experiencing this issue, our trained mechanic will need to access the steering rack to inspect it. In some cases, the entire rack will need to be replaced. However, in other cases, it may be possible to simply replace the mounts.
Our mechanic will make a determination based on the condition of the steering rack and the severity of the damage. With Audi models, it is important to address this issue as soon as possible to avoid further damage to the steering system.
We understand the high standards that drivers hold their cars to and we’re committed to exceeding your expectations with every visit. Our shop uses the latest tools and equipment available to make sure that we get the job done right.
At Autowerks we’re committed to providing superior service that you can count on and taking care of your European car as if it was our own. Located in College Station, we happily help drivers from all throughout surrounding areas including Brenham, Bryan, Caldwell, Madisonville, Navasota, College Station, TX. Give us a call today to set up an appointment that suits your busy schedule. We’re here to work with you to give you all the information and service necessary to keep you safe on the roads.