Contact Us In College Station For Your BMW’s Stiff Steering
BMWs are known for their engineering and performance capabilities. The company places a great emphasis on developing advanced technologies and innovative design features that make their cars perform exceptionally well. BMWs are known for their handling, acceleration, and braking, which make them a favorite among driving enthusiasts.
BMWs are popular vehicles because of their engineering and performance, design and style, luxury features, safety, and brand reputation. The company’s commitment to quality, innovation, and advanced technology has helped it build a loyal following among car enthusiasts and luxury car buyers around the world.
When you buy a BMW, you expect the best in handling and performance — which is why it can be especially disappointing when you begin to notice stiff steering.
Stiff steering is a common problem that BMW owners may face. It can make turning the steering wheel difficult and put strain on the driver’s arms. The issue can occur in any type of BMW, whether it’s a sedan, coupe, or SUV. In this article, we will discuss what can cause stiff steering, how to prevent it, and how a mechanic might fix it.
Causes of Stiff Steering in a BMW
There are several factors that can lead to stiff steering in a BMW, including:
- Low Power Steering Fluid – Power steering fluid is essential for smooth steering. If the fluid level is low, it can cause stiffness in the steering wheel.
- Worn Power Steering Pump – Over time, the power steering pump can wear out and become less efficient. This can cause the steering wheel to feel stiff and unresponsive.
- Damaged Steering Gearbox – The steering gearbox is responsible for translating the movement of the steering wheel into movement of the wheels. If it is damaged, it can cause stiffness in the steering.
- Worn Ball Joints or Tie Rods – Ball joints and tie rods are critical components of the steering system. If they become worn, they can cause stiffness in the steering.
- Incorrect Wheel Alignment – If the wheels are not properly aligned, it can cause uneven wear on the tires, which can lead to stiffness in the steering.
Preventing Stiff Steering in a BMW
Stiff steering can be frustrating for any driver to encounter, so you may be wondering how you can prevent it from being a problem to begin with. Like many common car problems, preventing stiff steering in a BMW involves regular maintenance and care of the vehicle. Here are a few tips:
- Check Power Steering Fluid – Regularly check the power steering fluid level and top it up as needed.
- Replace Worn Parts – If you notice any wear or damage to the steering components, have them replaced as soon as possible.
- Check Wheel Alignment – Have the wheel alignment checked and adjusted regularly to ensure even tire wear and smooth steering.
- Regular Servicing – Have your BMW regularly serviced by a qualified mechanic to ensure all components are working correctly.
Fixing Your BMW’s Stiff Steering
If you are experiencing a stiff steering wheel in your BMW, it is important to take it to a qualified mechanic who can diagnose and repair the issue. The mechanic will begin by performing a visual inspection of the steering system to identify any visible signs of damage or wear. They may also check the power steering fluid level to ensure it is at the appropriate level. If the fluid is low, they will top it up to the correct level.
If the power steering pump is worn out or not functioning properly, the mechanic may need to replace it. They may also check the steering gearbox for damage or wear, as a damaged gearbox can cause stiffness in the steering. If any components are found to be worn or damaged, the mechanic will replace them with new parts.
Trust Your BMW to Autowerks
Autowerks is your best bet for top-quality repair and service for BMW vehicles. Whether it’s an issue related to stiff steering, fuel systems, brakes and more, you can trust our well-trained technicians to get the job done right.
Having been servicing cars in and around Brenham, Bryan, Caldwell, Madisonville, Navasota and College Station, TX for many years now, we understand the importance of maintaining a car that runs at peak performance. Our commitment is to keep you on the road while delivering only the finest quality repairs available. Contact Autowerks today to schedule your appointment so you can get back out there quickly!