The Importance of Your Volvo’s SRS Warning Light
The Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), also known as the Safety System Warning, consists of your vehicle’s seatbelts and airbags. The system is commonly known as the airbag system, and It was designed to reduce the impact on the vehicle occupants during an accident.
Like others, the Volvo SRS system is controlled by a computer, and it requires no input from the vehicle occupants for its activation. The system also tightens the seat belts to provide added protection for the occupants during an accident. However, unlike the SRS, the seat belts are an active restraint system, as they require manual input from the driver and passengers before they can work effectively.
The SRS system consists of:
- warning light
- pyrotechnic inflator
- rain sensor
- ignition system
- electronic control unit (ECU)
- passenger seat switches
- crash sensors
The system signals the seatbelt pretensioners to tighten and clasp the occupants to their seats in a collision. It also notifies the ECU, which sends a pulse to the gas generator. The pyrotechnic inflator works with the gas generator to inflate the airbag.
Why is my Volvo’s SRS warning light on?
Is it possible that the airbag light is on by accident and needs to be reset by a professional Volvo specialist. However, if your car was involved in an accident and the airbags were deployed, they would need to be replaced and the sensors reset.
Regardless of an accident, it is not also unusual for the SRS warning light to be on. When this happens, it is a notification that your airbags are deactivated and will not deploy during an impact. In this case, a problem was detected with the airbag system from the routine check conducted on the system. Treat any issue with your Volvo’s airbag system as a top priority for your safety and the safety of your passengers.
Discussed below are the following situations that could have caused your airbag system to fail:
- Broken Sensors: The SRS system consists of sensors that relay information to the system. When the sensor fails, it might cause the SRS warning light to come on. When there is an issue with the sensors, you should bring your car to us for a checkup so our professionals can diagnose the cause of the failed sensor.
- Instrument Cluster Failure: The instrument cluster is commonly known as Driver Information Module (DIM). When the instrument cluster is not working, the SRS warning light stays on. Other warning lights and gauges on the dashboards will also stop working. Getting the DIM fixed should rectify the SRS warning indication.
- Disconnected Airbag Wires: The airbag system is an electrical system consisting of various sensors. There are separate wires that connect the sensors to the system, and when there is a disconnection, the warning light comes on.
- Damaged Airbag: There are multiple factors that may be responsible for a damaged airbag, one of which is a previous accident. If you were involved in an accident, your SRS warning light will illuminate, indicating that some part or all your SRS needs to be reset or replaced. This can also happen with a fender bender, even if your airbag did not deploy.
- Dead Battery: Where the airbag backup battery is flat, it may cause the airbag warning light to illuminate. In the absence of power supply from the car’s battery, the airbag system switches to the backup battery to power the system. If it is the case that both the primary and backup power source for the system fails, the airbag warning light will come on to notify the driver that the system does not have full functionality.
Can I drive with my airbag light on?
When your Volvo’s SRS warning light stays on, it should be treated as an emergency fault. If the airbag system is not working correctly, it may fail to go off in a crash. In rare cases, it may deploy unexpectedly and cause a crash. Your airbag system is a critical feature of your car and should be functioning as engineered for your safety.
Autowerks for Top Quality Repair and Service
At Autowerks, we understand that all drivers want to ensure that they can rely on their vehicle’s safety features. Our ASE-certified mechanics handle all maintenance and repair works with precision of execution. Our shop has the latest equipment and materials for all services and repairs.
We offer complete maintenance services, repairs, and replacements for your Volvo, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes, MINI, Porsche, and Rolls Royce. We are located in College Station, TX, and offer high-quality preventive maintenance and routine checkup services to drivers around Brenham, Bryan, Caldwell, Madisonville, and Navasota. Call us today to set up a convenient appointment.