Where to Fix a Faulty Fuel Gauge in a Mini in College Station
The fuel gauge in your Mini plays a very crucial role, as it helps you monitor your fuel level. Although a non-functional or faulty fuel gauge might be harmless, it becomes difficult to keep track of your fuel levels and know when to refuel. When the fuel gauge fails, it usually results in inaccurate fuel readings.
Common Causes of a Faulty Fuel Gauge
A faulty fuel gauge may have resulted from a host of problems. Let’s take a closer look at the cause and symptoms of a faulty fuel gauge and how to fix the problem.
- Malfunctioning Sending Unit: This is arguably the most common cause of a faulty fuel gauge in a Mini. One of the most significant components of a fuel gauge is the sending unit. The sending unit constantly works in motion with the variable resistor. However, the sending unit may malfunction by developing an open circuit due to the ravage of time. This leads to a dead sending unit, which gives the wrong voltage feedback to the fuel gauge. The sending unit could send either full or empty fuel levels to the fuel gauge.
- Circuit Problem: This is another problem often associated with a faulty fuel gauge. When a circuit problem arises, the fuel sending unit has no voltage source to perform its function. Usually, circuit problems in a fuel gauge often arise as a result of corrosion or loose connection. This is most common around the fuel pump module, because it is more exposed.
- Bad Wiring: Your vehicle is connected by several wires that transmit signals throughout the vehicles. When there is a broken wire connection, it affects the functionality of your car. If the faulty wire has to do with your fuel gauge, your fuel level readings might become inaccurate or totally fail.
- Fuel Gauge Failure: This type of issue is not always common. However, the fuel gauge failure is usually caused by shorted internal circuits. The effect of fuel gauge failure is wrong fuel level reading, which shows either full or empty reading.
- Problem with Instrument Cluster: This is another rare cause of faulty fuel gauges. It usually occurs as a result of the wear and tear of the instrument. When the instrument cluster has an issue, it is always recommended to remove the unit and replace it with a new and functional one.
Possible Signs of a Faulty Fuel Gauge
In many cases, Mini owners will not know there’s a problem with their fuel gauge until it’s too late and you’re stranded on the side of the road. Look for the signs below to determine if you’re having a problem with your fuel gauge:
- an inconsistent needle that dips low and then moves back towards full
- if the fuel gauge is stuck at full or empty
- if the needle is stuck at a specific level and doesn’t move while you travel distances
Autowerks: Professional Care for Your Mini
Your Mini is fun to drive and has the customizations to suit your personality. These perks have made the Mini one of the most popular European vehicles available today. However, when something is slightly off with your car, you feel it almost instantly. This makes maintenance an extremely important part of owning any model.
Autowerks has been the go-to shop for maintenance and service for European vehicles, including all Mini models. We proudly serve car owners in and around the communities in Brenham, Bryan, Caldwell, Madisonville, Navasota, and College Station, TX.
We have over 40 years of experience working on European vehicles, and our ASE certified mechanics provide the same Mini services you would receive at the dealerships but at a fraction of the cost. We also perform our work quicker so you can get back out on the road doing what you love.
We utilize the latest factory-grade tools and equipment to ensure that your car is getting the best workmanship available. We also provide all the services your Mini needs, including regular maintenance, tune-ups, oil changes, brakes, transmission work, engine repair, hose and belt replacements, and more. Call or visit our shop today to schedule an appointment with one of our expert mechanics!